Drilling Superintendent Job description
- Ensure the correct management of the drilling operations by optimizing the assets and equipment and supervising the execution of the activities of his/her subordinates;
- Whenever instructed by his/her superiors liaise on behalf of Company with the Client’s representative regarding contract management and interpretation;
- Verify the maintenance routines of the drilling equipment/assets are appropriate and they guarantee an efficient performance of the drilling activities;
- Be familiar with the established well control procedures;
- Be familiar with the established drilling operational procedures;
- Ensure reporting routines are fulfilled;
- Verify the stock level of spare parts and consumables for the drilling equipment on the rigs of his/her competence are kept at an appropriate level;
- Cooperate with the rig site personnel in performing the rig moving activities by supervising the activity of his subordinates;
- Ensure all classification society and authorities rules and regulations applicable to the activities are adhered to;
- Be safety conscious in all his work and behavior;
- Ensure Company’s and Client’s HSE and Q/A policies and standards are implemented on the rig sites;
- Actively participate to HSE inspections/audit on the rig site;
- Call for / Participate to investigations in case of serious incidents;
- Apply and ensure the correct application of prescribed safety standards and regulations;
- Verify proper housekeeping is maintained on the rig site;
- Experience as a Drilling Superintendent for 10 or more years with an independent or major oil company.
- Having work experience as a toolpusher or above for a drilling contractor a preferred plus.
- Have extensive industry training and a valid well control certification.
- Have detailed and demonstrated technical knowledge of drilling horizontal wells
- Have detailed and hands on experience drilling directional wells along with a detailed understanding of directional drilling techniques and equipment.
- Have detailed understanding of drill bits, drilling motors and the relation of the drilling rig circulating system to these tools.
- Have detailed understanding and hands on experience with various weighted and non-weighted mud systems. Experience with oil based mud and water based mud.
- Be familiar with cost reporting and cost verification as it pertains to approval of company expenditures.
- Have demonstrated the ability to manage multiple drilling rigs at one time in a safe and cost effective manner.
- Understand and demonstrate leadership in all aspects of managing a HSE compliant operation without sacrificing operational efficiency.